[Tutorial] How to add instructor to a course – All about LearnPress Instructors
June 14, 2017 at 4:08 PM #164644
Nguyen Duc TungKeymaster
We all know that, for an education website that integrates e-learning features, Instructor is a must-have feature. Luckily, for LearnPress and Eduma, instructor and co-instructor have been implemented so strongly that it’s very easy to use with high effectiveness.
In this article, we will learn about how Instructor feature works in Eduma, what Instructors can do, how to assign a course to an instructor, how to promote someone into instructor and all about instructors.
Requirement for someone to be an instructor
The only requirement for someone to be an instructor is that the instructor will need to have an account on your website.
You can manually create an account for your instructor if you want (via WP-Admin > Users > Add New)
Or you can let your instructor create an account on your site (How to allow registration on your site? If you are using WordPress single site, please go to Menu Settings / General / Memberships / Anyone can register (wp default).
If you are using WordPress multisite, please go to your Network Admin > Settings > Check the radio box for User accounts may be registered of the field Allow new registrations under the Registration Settings)
Allow Registration for MultiSite
You can also set up Social login by using MiniOrange so that the registration process will be ways faster and easier.
How to assign someone to be an instructor?
There are many ways you can promote other people to be instructors. You can manually set any user to be an instructor; you can let your users register as instructor and you will approve or you can even let everybody register as an instructor from the beginning.
Method 1: Manually set someone to be instructor
In order to do this, please go to your WP-Admin > Users > Search for the user and Edit > In the Edit User window, under the Role drop-down field, choose Instructor > Save.
After that, the user’s role will be changed to Instructor and your instructor will be able to add courses.
Method 2: You can let your users register as instructor and wait for your approval
Currently, on our demo for Eduma, we are using this function. You can see the demo here.
There will be a page where your users can go to and sign up to be instructors, and after that, there will be a notification email sent to your email account requesting instructor role. There will also be a quick link in the email for you to accept or deny instructor request.
If accepted, the user’s role will immediately become an instructor and have access to LearnPress course creation page.
The default page for Become An Instructor page is LP Become A Teacher. You can access it with the url XXX.com/become-a-teacher Where XXX.com is your domain. You can change it in LearnPress settings: Go to WP-Admin > LearnPress > Settings > Pages > Become a teacher
Method 3: Let everybody register and become instructor right from the beginning
If you choose to use this method, everybody can be instructor just like the way Udemy works. Here’s the workflow: Upon registration, there will be a check box asking if the user also wants to be an instructor. If yes, the user will immediately become an instructor after registration finish.
How the button display in Registration process
Here’s how to do that: Login to your WP-Admin > LearnPress > Settings > General > Allow Instructors Registration
F.A.Q about Instructors
Can Instructors take other people’s courses?
- Yes, absolutely
Can Instructors take or access to their own course?
How can Instructors edit a course?
- Just login to their accounts, go to WP-Admin > LearnPress, they will see their courses.
Or instructors can also go to their Profiles to see their courses. After that, instructors can edit each lesson by clicking on the lesson and click Edit
Will instructors be able to add courses without having to wait for reviews?
- By default, all courses made by instructors will need to be reviewed by admins. You can let courses published immediately by going to LearnPress > Settings > Courses > uncheck the box of “Review course before publish”
- There will also be an option of Enable edit published course – Allow instructors to edit the course that is published without review. If this option is disabled, the course status will be changed to Pending Review when the instructor update course.
I am the Admin, I created Courses, but I will need others to manage course for me, how to do that?
- To do that, you will need to have Co-Instructors add-on installed. If you are using our theme, LearnPress Co-Instructors is automatically installed on your site. You can get the add-on on our website – ThimPress.com
- After that, while editing course, under the General Settings for that course, there will be a form field called Co-Instructors. Just enter the username of the instructor and Save. After that the person entered will become instructor for the course.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic. You can click here